Thursday, March 4, 2010

BOOKS:
I want to read this Young Adult Book next: The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (to be made into a movie---that’s the scoop).
I like this quote from memoirist Mary Karr. The word ‘memoir’ can easily be switched with plain old ‘My Novel’. And it epitomizes the writer’s struggle:
"The Memoir? It circles me like a gnat. I circle it like a dog staked to a pole. Years it's gone on that way."

BRANDO:
The movie I’m waiting to see if the rumors are true: Kazuo Ishiguro’s excellent, creepy, page turning NEVER LET ME GO with Carey Mulligan and Kiera Knightley by director Mark Romanek. It will be great to see Knightley and Mulligan together after Mulligan starred as the wonderfully-delirious-annoying Kitty to Knigtley’s Elizabeth Bennett in Pride and Prejudice. Especially after Mulligan’s Star rising turn in AN EDUCATION. By the way I’m liking those ads for Chanel with Kiera.

The Prophet – only I’m afraid & claustrophobic

Great Smart-scary rental ( in the vein of THE OTHERS) – Spanish Director Juan Anonio Bayona’s THE ORPHANAGE.

BURGERS:
Humphrey Slocombe Ice Cream in the Mission. So the dessert that I had at Flour & Water was “Caramel Cream & Sea Salt” from Humphrey Slocombe. Only I’m on their website now and not seeing it…hmmm…..Maybe you need to visit the Fabulous Flour & Water, EAT a full on dinner, then order the dessert with LOCAL Humphrey Slocombe Ice Cream to find out (wink wink).
I’m not sure what the rest of HS Ice Cream is like but I nearly went nuts eating this one scoop. It was a flavor explosion of subtle but seismic proportions. I guess it was supposed to be shared because that’s what my friend K and I ordered it for, but I couldn’t control myself. I didn’t share. She may think I shared but when she wasn’t looking I snuck a giant scoop. Which brings to mind a Wall Street Journal review on an author David Kessler’s THE END OF OVEREATING who writes about certain foods engineered to over-stimulate our senses. I don’t think this ice cream was engineered though. I think it was just plain good. Maybe I shouldn’t read the book till I’ve had my fill.

And since we’re on it. Anthony’s Cookies. Also in the Mission. I try to eat at all three places whenever I visit CALLIE & San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment