Tuesday, March 9, 2010

TWEAKED, ECLIPSE & MANKA'S

BOOKS: TWEAKED by Nic Sheff. A young man’s memoir about growing up addicted to methamphetamines, abusing alcohol and drugs, and working through his recovery. Poignant, honest, raw, & well written. This memoir brought to mind an edgier Holden Caulfield, Sheff’s tender but frightening renderings had me turning the pages.

BRANDO: So are they going to make a fourth Twilight movie or what? What’s the hold up? It can’t be the so called ‘bloody’ portions of Book 4. They’re not all that bad. I mean it is a vampire movie folks. Right? Right? I just read that they’re deliberating on whether to break it into one or two movies. Okay. Cool. I can't wait. Of course there's also ECLIPSE coming soon! Right? Right.

The other day I caught Robert Pattinson on THE VIEW working the publicity circuit for his latest movie, Remember Me. I felt bad for Emilie de Ravin (his co-star and LOST regular). She got like two questions to Rob’s 30.

His early interviews in the first dawn of TWILIGHT were so charming and reminiscent of Gregory Peck. Pattinson deflected praise for his role and instead praised co-star Kristen Stewart as the best actress of their generation. I liked her in INTO THE WILD, and I can’t wait to watch her in SPEAK (I have the Netflix at home but my DVD player is on the fritz). What Pattinson did, showcasing her that way reminded me of what I’d once read about the gracious Gregory Peck (one of my all time favorite classic movie actors). Apparently for Roman Holiday he insisted they give the then unknown Audrey Hepburn equal billing and then on interview he is said to have praised her as the “star” of the movie, and she is. It’s one of my all time favorite movies. There are so many great moments:
“Is this the elevator?” “No, this is what’s laughingly known as my apartment.
And then that scene where, drugged on sleeping pills she’s just about to knock on the neighbor’s door and Gregory Peck reaches over for a hail Mary grab of her wrist, just before her knuckles come down.

Classic Movie reccomenation: ROMAN HOLIDAY of course.

Romantic Foreign Rental recommendation:

HORSEMAN ON THE ROOF (Le Hussard sur le Toit) –Olivier Martinez and Juliette Binoche (French subtitles ooh la la la). Directed by Jean-Paul Rappeneau. Here’s the tag line: In a time of war a young officer tries to help a young woman find her husband. The scene opens up in Aix where I’ve been and where you must go. So beautiful…sigh.

I want to talk about Lars Von Triers trilogy of devastation and his new movie but I think that needs a separate Blog. Devastating but so well done. So well done but devastating. I’m talking about Dancer in the Dark and Bjork’s performance. Breaking the Waves and Emily Watson’s performance. But I can’t do it right now.

BURGERS: My friend K just took me to an amazing MANKA’S at Vladamir’s dinner benefit (http://www.mankas.com/) for Haiti in Inverness. It was held at the charming Czechoslovakian restaurant VLADAMIR’S. My gosh, the fried local oysters on lettuce with aoli! I was greedy again. I also, which is classic of me dumped a whole glass of STUBBS chardonnay on the floor. The bread pudding was exquisite! As was the beet soup with a dollop of yogurt. Goodness. The Owner’s of Devil’s Gulch Ranch http://www.devilsgulchranch.com/ were present and gave a great presentation. Vladamir’s grandson and daughter served. What a wonderful night. I’ll have to try Vladamir’s sometime it’s on YELP.

No comments:

Post a Comment